This is my story...

I wanted to add my personal experience and give my story a little background, supporting Shelter’s current campaign against “no DSS.”

As a side note, I want it to be known this does end in a happily ever after...
Initially this was a difficult thing for me to take on so publicly as I am mostly a proud person and not much of a sharer. However, I have come to realise I have nothing to be ashamed of – what needs to be realised is this could happen to anyone and it is not necessarily a result of failure, as some people may assume. So, after my face being put out there (quite literally!) combined with the support I've had (plus the frustrations of reading some poor preconceived opinions), I decided to take the bull by the horns!

I am a mum of three boys (I already face a daily challenge to survive!). In 2016 we came back from Australia to visit family on a holiday. It didn’t quite take the turn you would expect on a family holiday when my then husband returned to Australia and I remained here with my three sons, at the time aged 3, 1 and 2 months old living out of a suitcase. Everything between then and now has been a battle. The divorce, selling our family home in Australia, child support, getting on the benefits system (having an asset we couldn’t access in Australia and being out of the country for so long adds complications) and subsequently finding housing (whilst remembering to feed the children). Needless to say it was a turbulent and expensive few years for us starting from scratch but as most parent’s will understand – you just have to get on. Please remember, it all ends happily with my sanity intact (for the most part)...

After, rather luckily it seems, securing a private rental without too much trouble, we received a section 21 notice after living there for 18 months. The landlord wanted to sell the property leaving us having to find our next home. Living in a small village we had settled well, finding friends, being a part of a community, my oldest in school, my second ready to start and my youngest in preschool. I had a part time job at the school and we had finally been successful in reaching a divorce, financial settlement and were receiving child support. Although I realised we may struggle to remain in the village I was shocked at just how difficult it would all be. I engaged with the council, approached our MP, ticked all the boxes I needed to, joined Home-link and started searching for private rentals in the area.

When a private rental came up in my village I immediately got my hopes up. With a good rental history, references, my dad as guarantor, the ability to pay up front, being in the community already and being a potentially long term tenant I didn’t anticipate being turned down. The argument being, to start with, that the estate agent didn’t consider housing benefit to be a source of income. I did argue that I was also working, in receipt of various other benefits and had court ordered child maintenance so had enough income to afford the property. This apparently didn’t matter, my already arranged viewing appointment was cancelled and it was made apparent they were not concerned about how much income or savings I had. Not even 12 month’s rent up front could tempt them. There were further discussions to follow once I suggested this seemed unfair; the landlord didn’t want a family in her home, the insurance wouldn’t allow a tenant on housing benefit – the insurance turning out to be through the estate agent, amongst other excuses. I made the point that surely if the rent was already paid for 12 months the landlord wouldn't need the expense of the extra insurance? I made a complaint and was told this was all a misunderstanding it’s just a shame that I potentially had to uproot my children once again or face homelessness.
In step Shelter….. they took on my case as indirect discrimination with the aim of having it going to court or a public letter of apology from the estate agent in question to strengthen their campaign against "no DSS."

Stepping aside from my personal background for a moment now and focusing on what I, and many others see, as a discriminative, outdated and rather primitive system; it is not ok to say no to someone and deny them a basic need of housing just because they have fallen on hard times, are disabled, divorced or have children. I am not saying that every one of these people will always perfect potential tenants, but it is a rather sweeping assumption to make to suggest that none of them would be.

Surely renting out your home should be based on individual merit, not on a preconceived notion. There is always an associated risk with renting out your home no matter whether someone is unemployed or not.

I was made to feel ashamed and embarrassed by my situation but I realise now that that is wrong. I am proud of what I have overcome as a single parent family, challenging the preconception of people on housing benefit, mostly media driven; being seen as irresponsible, unreliable, vandals amongst other stereotypical views. I once had a career in criminal justice and a 4-bed home in Australia but a change in circumstances led me to become a single mum with three children under 4 years old. I was in the process of divorce, waiting for assets and funds (and ideally some sleep) for nearly 2 years (I am still waiting for sleep).

Here's my happy ending, so far at least…
I am now working again, for a homeless charity. My role as a housing advisor is supporting people that have been left in an unfortunate position, helping them navigate their way to finding housing. Many of these people are not as fortunate as me; having family support, close friends, some savings and good health. I’m very happy to say I am now in a secure home, in the same village with the same friends, a new partner and an extended family in the mix.

Drop the mic.
(…pick it back up, dust it off, probably apologise to it and put it away somewhere safely ...)



Comments

Popular Posts