Say yes to DSS!


Following on from my last blog I wanted to voice my opinion on the campaign against "no DSS."

Not just from my own personal experience but points made by landlords that I want to respond to. I have heard many an argument justifying why it is ok for landlords / insurance companies/ estate agents/ banks to say no to “dss” and at least here I can have an uninterrupted chance to respond.

  • I have heard several people suggest that if rent was paid directly from housing benefit or universal credit straight to the landlord this would help solve the problem. I object to the assumption that you are incapable of managing finances if you are receiving some kind of benefits and again this feeds into this negative stereotype. I am perfectly able to pay my own rent and have the right to maintain my independence. I don't mind being given the option of paying something directly and accept that this would be a good option for some but I reject that it should be mandatory based on my income being topped up by universal credit.
  • I should be entitled to choose where I live the same as anyone else. If I can afford a private rental and I am looking to live in a certain area (whatever my reasons) shouldn't I have the right to choose? 
  • I do agree the universal credit roll out has impacted the private rental market, however surely anyone could become unemployed and affected by the notorious 5 week delay. Not only that but most councils have schemes to help those that are in need of a deposit or rent in advance. 
  • Those landlords that have said they want to eliminate risk and run as a business etc. are suggesting they are particular about who they rent to but why does it matter if the paid rent is made up from a wage, benefits or a combination of both so long as the prospective tenant can afford it? Why, if there's a guarantor, good credit history, referrals etc. still a suggestion that I am seen as a risk. (The bigger question should really be: When did profit making whilst adding to the housing crisis and homelessness become ok?) 
  • We all realise there's a shortage of social and affordable housing and so the "government are at fault" but there is no quick fix unfortunately. So while this is indeed the case, by stopping those who can access private rental more social house's are being taken up. 

Surely every landlord wants a tenant that pays the rent, takes care and pride in turning that property into their home and ideally long term? Why is that determined by where someone's income is from instead of what is actually important?

From all these preconceived conceptions of what someone who is on benefits is like it's hard not to feel like a second class citizen – that in some way we have failed. But this is a very different era to that when it was classed as "DSS." There is a bigger gap between lower and higher income, there are more people who suffer from mental health issues and there is more divorce and extended family's. A lot more people have their income topped up by working tax credits, housing benefits or universal credit. People on these benefits may also be disabled and unable to work which is just one of the reasons why those benefits are there.

Landlords should have choice, they should have the right to choose who is in their property but we need to move on from this outdated and discriminative view that if you are in receipt of benefits you are not a good tenant and equal opportunities for housing should be given to all.

Comments

Popular Posts